A key aim of the Voyager Tennis Academy is to ensure that it’s students have a clear pathway and guidance to gain the opportunity of receiving a US College Scholarship with tennis or academics.
At present, there are more than 40 Voyager Graduates currently on U.S. Tennis Scholarships at some of the best universities in the world. Scholarships can be worth up to $500,000.00 (AUD) over a 4 year period.
A typical scholarship will cover tutoring and academic support, racquets, clothes sponsorship, travel around the USA, food and accommodation off campus, massage and physiotherapy along with a percentage of tuition, books, on campus housing and food. Scholarships can be customised to meet your family’s budget needs.
Read more here about whether a U.S. College Tennis scholarship is the right choice for you.
College coaches in the United states are looking at a number of factors when recruiting players into their teams on scholarships.
Such factors are:
– Universal Tennis Rating
– National Rankings
– Strong Doubles results
– A well structured and appropriate video
– Proof of progression in results over a long period
– Recommendations from coaches
– Recommendations from Study & Play USA
– Training history
From the perspective of a College Coach, the ideal Australian candidate will have the following attributes:
– Starts planning from a young age
– Works with coaches who are willing to guide them along this pathway
– Plays a healthy blend of AR Events and UTR Events
– Shows an upwards trajectory with rating and ranking
– Values academics
– Values a team
College Tennis can be a fantastic pathway if you are looking to pursue a career on the ATP or WTA tour. Did you know:
– The 2016 Australian Open had 35 former U.S. College players in the tournament. View Article here.
– The average age of the world’s top 100 is approx. 27.5 for Men (as of June 2017)
– The average age of the world’s top 100 is approx. 25 for Women (as of June 2017)
One of the hardest aspects of going to a U.S College is finding one that is the right fit for the individual. With around 4,500 to choose from, it’s no wonder that many people run into trouble. We can’t recommend strongly enough that our players use the services of Study & Play USA to find the right college.
There are a large number of challenges with taking the application into your own hands. Some of these are:
– Not understanding eligibility
– The huge learning curve in short period of time. One application mistake can cost you a year of eligibility. It is simply not worth it
– Not understanding the subtle rules and restrictions with the NCAA and the NAIA that are ever changing
– Waiting until year 12 for advice
– Relying on other families who have only been through this process once. No two families will have the same process or outcome
– Rushing the coach contact process
– Accepting the first offer that comes to hand
– Prioritising the wrong things (as an example, the College location vs. a coach)
For good young tennis players, with solid academic results, a U.S. College scholarship is very attainable. In the United States there are:
– Over 24 million students enrolled in College
– 800,000 of these are international students
– There are approximately 4,500 Colleges to choose from.
– Of the 4500 Colleges, 948 have tennis scholarships available for for men and 1,144 have tennis scholarships available for women.
As you could imagine, the choice of 4,500 colleges can be daunting and the application process is extensive.
Fortunately, our partner Study & Play USA can help guide you through this process and take on some of the time consuming elements of the application process.
The Voyager Academy has partnered with Study & Play USA, an Australian based agency that has extensive experience in finding the best universities for each player, as well as the best possible scholarships. Study & Play have over 14 years experience in placing young Australian sportsmen and sportswomen in US Colleges and their approach is focused around finding the right fit for their candidates.
We have partnered with Study & Play because of their professionalism, 14+ years experience and 100% track record in placing students at US Colleges and their approach in focusing on the right fit for the individuals. Voyager has over 40 players currently in the US on College scholarships which is a pathway we’d recommend to all players. For more information about Study and Play USA visit our partners page.
US College Players
See below list of Voyager players who have achieved US College Tennis Scholarships:
University of Illinois
University of Georgia
University of Texas
Boise State University
Brigham Young University
Loyola Marymount University
Loyola Marymount University